I think it’s safe to say we all have at least one person in our lives who we know without a shadow of a doubt, will always be there for us. Some of us are even lucky enough to have more than one! These people are what I call beacons. They’re a constant source of love and light and motivate us to make the right decisions, whether we like what they say or not.
I have a lot of things I’d like to accomplish while I’m chugging along on this little planet of ours. The most important is probably to serve as a generally reliable human to as many people as I can. Being a person who brings other people up and rides the waves of life with them is one of the most valuable things any human can do.
But just exactly how do I plan to serve as a beacon to the people in my life? What do I think is going to bring people up and motivate them to be the best person they can? Let me map out a game plan, here.
- Be kind. I think that above all else, this is the golden rule of being anyone’s beacon. We all have our moments, both good and bad, but I’m trying to make it a priority to go out of my way to be kind. Sometimes, this is harder said than done. Self-control is an important tool.
- Be encouraging. Use your heart. Be genuine. Encouragement isn’t something that can often be faked convincingly. We all know when someone doesn’t think something we’ve made is good. That silence can be disheartening, so be encouraging, even if you don’t quite understand what is being created.
- Be a good listener. Sometimes people don’t want advice, they just want to be listened to! An open ear says a whole lot about a person.
- Be reliable. This is something that I personally really struggle with. It’s not that I don’t love my friends and family, but sometimes I feel burnt out and exhausted and shut down. I’ll agree to plans a week in advance and then flake out the day of because I’m dead on my feet. Shitty. I know. But being reliable is powerful. You want to be that person that everyone knows they can count on. Again, easier said than done.
- Be honest. Every Relationship 101 article says this, so I’m beating a dead horse, but so be it. Being honest is so important! Don’t lie to people you love, you’re just weaving a web that you’re one day going to get stuck in.
This is my list. I’m motivated. I’m dedicated. Being someone’s person is important to me.
Thanks to all of my beacons, the people who’ve given me advice even though I may not have wanted it, loved me, and helped me even though maybe I didn’t deserve it!
Thank you to you guys for reading, too. It’s super neat when I see people I went to highschool with who say they read my blog! What a neat thing.
Peace out, nerd bugs! Come back for a super special Wednesday Recommendation!